Sunday, July 5, 2015

Language Of My Heart [REV]

Illicitly reading the Bible in Afrikaans, illegally I sing
Langehoven’s Lullaby and recite Winter’s Night by
Eugène N Marias; according to a clever accountant
it is wrong to write Afrikaans since all dialects may be
freely spoken but never admitted to a higher status of
book learning: what daring, what infinite evil-doing this


Is, creating a century of poetry in an illegal tongue, it’s
asinine idiocy to leave the refined languages - of which
Dutch is our designated written language;  to create our
own story, own dictionary, literature & church liturgy, it’s
blasphemy! - such presumption marks us as unholy and
unrepentant, so we’re cut off from our cultural roots and


End up revering English as the tongue of our history; I
sigh: Thank heaven for such a lingua franca; I’ll accept
all rejection & sing my Lullaby in Afrikaans & shining all
spiritual light in my mother tongue, listening as Mabalel’s
ankle-ringe still go klingelinge - enjoying the decadence
of learning life’s lessons in the language of my heart…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...