Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Grateful Sorrow

The idea’s wonderful - theory impeccable:
my daughter has a job on a cruise ship to
earn enough to buy a car & an apartment –
but in real life the situation means saying
goodbye for a six-month period,  she flies
to the other side of the earth: to Mexico


She tested the alarm she’ll wear in self-
defence, readied back-pack and papers,
a book to read & US dollars - I’m ready
as mezzo-soprano Valkyrie, breast-plate
heaving as I sing Jo-ho-ho-HOO, Jo-ho-
ho-HOO, she continues in Japanese


Tomorrow my darling will fly away to far-
off shores to work her way towards her
independence; protected by legions of
angels – we send a little firefly to light a
small part of the world - and delight the
hearts she’ll touch and I’m saying my 


Goodbye tonight, tomorrow she’s leaving
and this wonderful future of hers is the
source of grateful sorrow…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...