Sunday, March 26, 2023

Brahms' Lullaby - Wiegenlied

I thought a melody by Brahms would be a better choice,

but instead of listening to his Wiegenlied, a lovely lullaby

 

I managed to find his Ein Deutsches Requiem - Ihr Habt

Nun Traurigkeit - & sadly I listened - then looked at the

 

*Translation finding that the music contains a promise for

the listeners to be comforted as if by their mother - and

 

That is exactly what is described in Brahms Lullaby, so

going to his Wiegenlied, I found the comfort I sought…

 ................................................................................................................

https://youtu.be/_N8L0-f7E0M Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit” (Ein Deutsches Requiem

Brahms [Barbara Bonney]

*Translation: Now now you have sorrow, but I will see you again,

and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man shall take from

you, I will comfort you like one who is comforted by his mother.

 ....................................................................................................................

https://youtu.be/Q2zAXfhcnTA  Wiegenlied: Guten Abend, gute Nacht -

Brahms  [Esther Valentin] 

Guten Abend, gute Nacht, mit Rosen bedacht,

mit Näglein besteckt, schlüpf unter die Deck!

Morgen früh, wenn Gott will, wirst du wieder geweckt.

 

Guten Abend, gute Nacht, von Englein bewacht,

die zeigen im Traum dir Christkindleins Baum.

Schlaf nun selig und süß, schau im Traum 's Paradies.

......................................................................................

Wiegeliedjie (Slaap, my kindjie,  slaap sag)  

 [Woorde: JAN F.E. CELLIERS Musiek: JOHANNES BRAHMS; Op. 49 nr. 4]

Slaap, my kindjie, slaap sag, onder rose vannag

Eers die armpies om my nek en dan warmpies toegedek

môre vroeg, as God wil, word my kindjie gewek (2X).

 

Slaap, my kindjie, slaap sag, onder eng'le se wag;

hulle toon jou in 'n droom kindjie Jesus se boom

Slaap nou soet, hulle wys jou 'n droomparadys (2X).

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...