Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Wheat, Sugar And Caffeine

Playing dangerous blood sugar games,
whole-wheat rusks with hot chocolate –
vision affected, drooping eyelids and head

A quick-fix with black, bitter coffee lasts only
a minute before symptoms of apathy and
catatonia return, another cup of coffee

To combat veins in head contracting; yesterday
I fled this scourge by eating in a restaurant but
being served blackened bacon and tepid chips

Prevents me from going back there, thus I have
this great war against fatigue in my little world,
reminds me of *Good Omens’ enormous halo

Keeping Adam’s world safe - I rejoice in mine,
having a small place of earth to love and cherish
is a privilege second to none, my inner sanctuary

Held in equilibrium by books & theories reworked
in the light of new ideas; is most accessible when
I’m in my special place on earth – hoping my

Work-station, another haven, will help me steady
my spinning mental gyroscope after these games
with wheat, sugar and caffeine…

[7 October 2014]

[* Terry Pratchett]

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...