Saturday, December 4, 2010

Spread My Wings

The Folklore of the Discworld made me realize
I’m not a dwarf – I’m a troll - because just like
them I can’t stand the heat, brain activity slows
down until I’m rooted to the spot, just like they
are, with a mind as slow and empty as theirs

This explains the problems I experience with my
appearance, looking just like a troll until my inner
James Bond character appears and the world
changes into a glorious spy scene where I can
send coded messages to wonderful spy friends

This means I escape from my troll-like being by
borrowing like Granny Weatherwax does, sending
my mind into various characters, looking through
their eyes, experiencing their feelings when reading
or watching movies: instead of remaining audience

I become each of the characters in turn, a fantastic
way to make time pass, gaining amazing insights
making up my mind what I would never want to ex-
perience in real life, once an author has illustrated
the multifarious consequences of all the choices

Made by his characters, I use the insights to guide
my own adventures - I love characters like Granny
Weatherwax, though I struggle to emulate her, her
rock-hard integrity is enchanting, but I do not want
to become as fanatic about justice as Sam Vimes

His continuous consciousness stream is too obsessive,
I prefer the meanderings of a Tiffany Aching with a
linguist stuck in her mind, the boisterous and outgoing
nature of Ridcully Mustrum, Archchancellor of Unseen
University; love the grandeur and steadfast work ethic

Of the Golems, feeling convinced I am part Golem also
the chem in my mind being the holy words of the New
Testament, telling me to love my enemies – and I do
passionately, they afford so much amusement and
teach me to be humble as they are so superior

Humility is my best friend, I am like a vampyre who
can only survive by vowing never to drink blood, never
spread my wings and try to fly…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...