Saturday, February 4, 2023

Discworld With Its Unseen University

I’m reading Terry Pratchett’s biography - dumbfounded

that he was awarded a literary medal* for “The Amazing

Maurice and his Educated Rodents” instead of “Johnny

and the Bomb”; confirming my suspicions that members

of such committees do not read and do not know good

writing which stimulates the imagination

 

Rob Wilkens who wrote this biography has nowhere

mentioned Terry Pratchett’s writing owes its impact to

the integrity of the main characters: Lord Vetinari and

Captain Carrot, Commander Vimes and Esmerelda

Weatherwax, Archchancellor Ridcully and Moist von

Lipwig - without their delightful integrity

 

And the wonderful otherworldliness of the Discworld

which satirises the foibles of humankind; this series

wouldn’t have been so brilliant and impressive - some

of his works like “Nation” does not appeal to me, but his

Discworld creations like the Golems and dwarfs, seem

to explain my own shortcomings so well

 

I’m reading with bated breath to see what else Rob

Wilkens found to applaud in Terry’s wonderful creation

of the Discworld with its Unseen University!

..............................................................................

[*Carnegie Medal]

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...