Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Nici In My Life - Happy Birthday!


I stared at my little baby all through
the first night of her life, still in shock
that the little darling was part of me
and now lived and breathed on her
own, my life was not the same, so
much better with the little claimant
to my time and energy, if she cried
incessantly I put her in a kangaroo
bag around my neck and tilled the
garden while bits of dirt flitted down 
on her sleeping little face and I knew 
I had an angel with me, I took her 
everywhere I went, especially the 
library, as she grew she came 
up with so many surprises

Telling the teacher her mother said
she need not learn a thing at school
I had to backtrack and explain that
society and law require us to spend
time learning and though the value
was limited, she had to learn too
and ere long she read and wrote
on her own, her life was a secret
of what happened at school and
where she went with her friends

Soon she abused her parents in
the time-honoured tradition of
teenagers everywhere and we
enjoyed her bantering – today 12
September she turns eighteen, she
still looks so young but underneath
she has a will of steel, she makes us
proud, her naughty tricks is a source
of delight to me, it is amazing how
disciplined and overbearing she is

Watching her is a revelation of how
young people think when they are
raised conservatively, she is still
studying before spreading her
wings – she is a wonderful friend
teaching her mother how to be
cool – though it is a doomed
project – with Nici in my life I am
blessed, her determined little 
face still enchants me no end…

Happy Birthday Nici!

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...