Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Holy Restraint (Revised)


No Heisenbergian uncertainty today,
to prevent existential upset at having
to choose between eating or starving:
deliberately left my purse at home

Hunger assured, coffee with sweetener,
green tea - a packet of instant soup lite -
one rice cake, the rest up to Providence,
time to exercise spiritual muscles

My stomach is notoriously material and

gluttonous, no amount of praise for holy
restraint ever deterred my intestines from
hefty complaint when I try to forgo food

Today I’m hopefully doing penance for

multiple sins, steering clear of the worst
in covetousness watching my colleagues
feasting on biscuits and fruit…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...