Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Turning Into A Hedonist


Just for the record, neither an egg wrap without
meat and onions nor rice cakes with salt make a
difference, sugar is a quick escape but then my
knees and legs become inflamed, no help any-
where, watching time pass oh so slowly while
knowing that only once I get going to find the
right medication will I feel better

Yet the day is unending, the torture goes on and
on, I’m sure I can compete with the best there is
in suffering pain without flinching, all my life I
have been practicing to be a Stoic - but as time
passes I’m losing interest in winning this race,
wanting to feel well all the time - turning into a
hedonist means I want pain to stop immediately

No dilly-dallying, no suffering in imitation of the
Old Testament prophets and Eastern holy men!


Creepily Shrinking 

Pain in my ears, slow suffocation,
I have come to accept there is no
distraction from stiffening back and
neck  while my ears are ringing with
tinnitus and my poor scalp is creepily
shrinking, it’s the apex of the pain

Everything I did to get rid of the pain
worsened it -  alone with a text I am
useless, hearing my colleague typing
and knowing I’m making no progress,
I cannot ignore pain signals any more,  
no insight left for an airport document

Muscles tightening around my throat
as if to create awareness of death while
withholding the sweet relief that actual
release from this suffering body would
bring, I’m forced to go on as my heart
is strong & my body does not give up


My Head’s On Fire 

Catatonic – it’s been quite long since I’ve felt this bad,
the pressure in my head unbearable, sitting quietly until
it abates and then getting up and playing myself imitating
my own joie de vivre, never letting go of the role

It was an evil pizza last night, it’s been so long since I’ve
felt this pain different from any other kind, worse because
the pain gets at my brain and takes my world away, I’m left
in nothing with nothing and cannot go anywhere

Or defend myself, my mind is gone, nowhere to hide because
nowhere is safe, after working this morning I give up, cannot
fight this terrible feeling – the lovely family party this week-
end led to my indulging in unusual treats now here I am

My head’s on fire being crunched in the vice I know so well
while it feels as if worms are crawling all through my face
and gnawing at muscles and sinews and my throat is
constricting

14 May 2013

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...