Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"You have NO power over me" By Ronel O'Reilly

"You might think you have absolute power over me...
by slamming the gate in my face, you only confine me
to limited living space

You might think you have absolute power over me...
your dirty looks wash over me and confirm my
observation of your insecurities

You might think you have absolute power over me...
by controlling my freedom to speak - I have realised
in this place words is a waste of time

You might think you have power over me by robbing me
of my dignity when you touch me for security reasons –
it simply makes me realise this physical body is
only a small part of my being

You may think you have power over me when you force
me to attend workshops to talk about my crime

The truth is - although freedom of space, movement and
speech might be limited, my every thought is free
and therefore

You have NO power over me"

By Ronel O’Reilly written in Pollsmoor [12 April 2011]

When I read this poem by Ronel O'Reilly, I felt jubilant that her spirit
triumphed over prison circumstances; she is living proof that the world
can only offer us choices to react - and she chose to react in a masterful
way, guarding her freedom and privacy and withdrawing into a region
of her imagination that kept her safe from those taunting her.

I salute you Ronel, and I am privileged to be in communication with you!

27 March 2013


No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...