Thursday, March 21, 2013

Amazon Rituals

Nat Geo Wild a program about Amazon boys in a
ritual their hands ensconced in woven bags filled
with  big black ants suffering their sting to make
them strong and immune to illness

As the kids grow older it feels as if you cherish
Amazon ideas of planning rituals to make them
strong and immune to decadence: we shall stand
back and not offer them easy rides when
 
They have left school, shall not ferry them to and
from wherever they work without payment of fuel,
they can use the pool car but only for college and
university - I listen and agree
 
Knowing that my parents’ blind support for their kids
did not do us any good - hearing our son swearing
allegiance to you and all your rules, agreeing that
you are strict - but it is best
 
I follow your lead with quiet contentment, reassured
that you are giving our kids an invaluable gift: to be
well-adapted in society, hard-working, independent
 - I remember how scared I was of life
 
Determined never to have kids to prevent them growing
up in the chaos in which I lived, how much I had to learn
when you taught me how to organise life - I knew then
that you would be perfect with kids  

21 March 2013

 

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...