Monday, October 31, 2011

The Sixth Flavour: Spearmint

Thank you so much for "The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld"
by Stephen Briggs, I have scattered the quotes I made
from Pratchett’s books all over the house in various
notebooks; yesterday found my one quote from “Lords
and Ladies” - finally compared with the 27 quotes
Stephan Briggs compiled from “Lords and Ladies”
I felt so inspired on reading his, I got the
book from the library and cannot wait
to read it again

My quote from “Lords and Ladies” is taken from p. 97
where Biggs concentrated on gags and every witty piece,
I concentrate on Pratchett’s brilliant ability to rephrase
quantum physics and information on the smallest particles
in the universe - I enjoy Pratchett’s wit –it flavours his
books and makes them glitter and shine - but I simply
delight in his ability to reformulate modern science to
make it digestible in a most entertaining, clever,
striking way

Here is my quote, the most amazing witticism: given that
the smallest particles are called “quarks” with six flavours-
“Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Truth and Beauty” according to their
energy flow – I was highly amused by the way Pratchett used
this information to come up with the best parody ever:

“Lords and Ladies” p. 97:

“Young wizards talk about the impermanence
of every seemingly rigid time-space framework
in the High Energy Magic Building - the thaum
is the smallest particle of magic and was found
to be made up of resons (thing-ies) or reality
fragments

Resons are made up of at least five “flavours”:
Up, Down, Sideways, Sex appeal and Peppermint”

End of quote – I thought in order to keep the
equivalent of six flavours for both quarks and
resons, I want to add a sixth flavour to
Pratchett’s five – the sixth flavour
might be Spearmint, don’t you agree?

Thank you for affording me so much fun
through such a marvellous gift!


[Michelle came back from London with this marvelous
book by Stephen Briggs and gave it to me as a gift]

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...