Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Wants An Adventure [Revised]

The little alien clings stubbornly to rafters
in my mind demanding attention; even
considering attempts to ignore him pays
foully in painful headaches – I close the
official files, look warily into its warped
little mind, ask what it wants so I can
continue with my work

I am bored, he replies, need adventure,
give me the lead role in a fictitious show –
but my characters are gone I remind him,
we need a new crew who’ll do our bidding
we must read a new book, enter into the
spirit of intrigue and dream big – Yes the
little pest says, so let’s get on with it

I wish I could dream a tale about glories
of doing my duty with feelings of peace
and content; I complain sotto voce, can’t
finish anything because you want to play
when I should work – insouciant brigand
replies, Who cares, Samson was a bad
guy and he’s revered for all time

Being virtuous gains you zero accolades
and no place in history, though you might
die in your chair, killed by the toxic fumes
of your despair – Good grief yes, walking
the straight and narrow is not exactly a
feat, I had better get on with something
evil to make living worth dying for!

1 comment:

Matt D said...

So much as values are an evolving process, capriciousness has its merits! :)

This is wonderfully written.

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...