Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Enraged & Vivaldi

Got into bed enveloped in the warmest delight
reading how Captain Carrot of the Night Watch
met Lance-Constable Angua, how she laughed
when Carrot made the new recruits repeat the
oath quoting all details, comma square bracket
insert name here, comma, deity of choice; how
likeable Carrot is, glowing with the inner light of
conviction, how honest, serious and wonderful

Even better, how much Commander Sam Vimes
hates superficial opinions and callous sentiments
expressed by higher class people with low-class
minds - then the allergy asserted itself in stiffening
neck and spine, could not lie down, head throbbed
the bed started to sag, my pillow turned into stone,
lost the goodwill and joy evoked by my book ‘Men
at Arms’ by Terry Pratchett - with its lovely humour

Life remains a see-saw; yet the marvelous warmth
brought into my life by the exciting Discworld ideas
manifested by characters with an integrity totally in-
corruptible stays in my heart to keep me safe when
I am enraged by the bad taste of those who do not
care for life as delicate beauty - the same goes for
Vivaldi, his musical themes and unwavering beat

Drive me nuts, I see his notes like stiff-necked
soldiers marching on, getting on my nerves
with robotlike idiocy…


“Men At Arms” – Terry Pratchett, Corgo edition
published 1994, p. 43



Vivaldi

Being forced to listen to Vivaldi by
a compilation of classical music, his
musical themes & unwavering beat,
his notes like stiff-necked soldiers
marching on with robotlike idiocy
drive me insane

Awakening memories of ALL things that
irked me recently, the contrast between
the delight reading Pratchett and being
enraged by Vivaldi-effigies led to the
suspicion there is a poem on anger
waiting in the wings

Meantime, these cold notes on the deficiency
of three-dimensional holographic images as
simile of reality made me reflect on life’s
shortcomings - but Men At Arms is lying
next to me, their mischievous irrational
levity is waiting

To grab me again and whisk me away from
inadequate, imperfect and painful reality –
up to the heights of cloud nine…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...