Friday, August 10, 2012

Danger And Gloom





Sipping tea with cinnamon and salt-
the only way to combat the bland taste of
tea without sugar – I recalled the reasons
why I don’t like reading stories such as
The Hound of the Baskervilles
 
Bogs, moors, quagmires, a curse, an evil
black hound and a brooding atmosphere
of danger and gloom become real until I
live in the same fear of the unknown and
feel the confusion of the characters
 
My own world changes into a dangerous
place and the cold and threats estrange
me from everything I want to be loving
and good; tonight I finally reached the
end of the story - all is resolved
 
The heir suffered such a shock he needs
time to recuperate - and so do I, feeling
fearful and lonely even while sitting
next to my beloved - my mind still
caught in the dreadful tale
 
I can’t break the spell of this dark Sherlock
Holmes adventure dampening my spirits -
only a positive new story describing a safe
world could take the darkness away, to-
morrow to the library to find one…
 
 
‘Sherlock Holmes  - The Hound of the
Baskervilles’ – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle,
first appeared in 1901

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...