Friday, August 15, 2008

An Enormous Elephant

An elephant in Africa; Kruger National Park or Knysna,
is enormous, imposing, majestic - worthy of protection –
the only rational behaviour of the tourist is to back away

When we were small and my uncle slowly advanced on
the elephants while my aunt shrieked in fear, we simply
cheered, quite oblivious to the danger posed by these
soft-footed beasts; we thought being near elephants
was plain fun –

Last time we were in the Kruger National Park, we played
with a white rhino, every time he tried to cross the road
we reversed or accelerated in order to block his path,
the rhino finally looked very menacing and we drove
away;

One day we parked to watch the elephants at
a water hole, suddenly the kids screamed – an
enormous matriarch was bearing down on us
from behind…

“Those were the days, my friend,
we thought they’d never end…”

2 comments:

Poetry From The Creek said...

Elephants and 4WDs don't mix kindly - but the fascination remains...

Margaret Alice said...

Have you felt the thrill of looking an elephant in the eye while he/she is passing by? I'm sure I have a special bond with them, if only I had time and opportunity to prove my theory; every time we see them in Kruger I feel like getting out and embracing them - there is a certain kind of magic - they are calling to me, maybe I was or is an elepahnt in one of my previous or concurrent lives!

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...