Thursday, September 4, 2008

Arthur Mee’s Encyclopedia

Kate Turkington’s book - More To Life Than Surface-
shaping up nicely, delighting me with her childhood
memories, reading Arthur Mee's Children's Ency-
clopedia and being quizzed by her sister on its contents
I also read parts of it and loved the articles about the
stars in the sky and thought the whole universe consisted
of the Milky Way only; I loved the illustrations of fairies
and little children and the information on gods and
goddesses.

Whereas in Kate’s house it was complemented by
Shakespeare and moralists, we had Langenhoven’s
Complete Works and the Afrikaanse Kinderensiklopedie,
illustrated so enchantingly with Dante’s Hell and Purgatory,
and abounding with stories of Siegfried, Kriemhilde and
Brunhilde…

Between Langenhoven’s stories of Herrie the elephant
pulling a tram, spirits walking the earth, Aunt Effie’s F’s,
Brolloks and Bittergal, Loeloeraai on the Moon,
Soetlief and Liedla, the Fairy, the magazines “Die
Jongspan” and “Patrys”, I managed to pass the
quickmire time that seemed to keep us stuck in some
kind of limbo where nothing ever happened ...

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...