Saturday, September 13, 2008

Juicy Lucy, Walt Disney And Paul Gallico

We had a Juicy Lucy on campus and I bought
healthy rye bread with a healthy spread, after
eating it I wish I were already dead, the red-hot
pain searing through my head making it quite
clear that the Second World War was being
repeated through my head and stomach,

Slinked back to my room in the residence, climbed
into bed, turned my face to the wall lying immovable,
passing the time by envisioning exciting events, until
I could rise and do the homework French, working
for an hour, sleeping for an hour, finding the big
dictionary so heavy and unwieldy, not understanding

How people managed to work with such heavy tomes,
I did not know about the allergy; a kindly doctor tried to
combat my fatigue by prescribing whole-wheat food; I
followed it for three years, slowly descending into a pit
of madness and complete despair, the allergy worsened
to a point where I couldn’t concentrate at all

I’ll never forget the terrible fear at the time, worsened by
my doggedly insisting to read Robert Koch’s book on demons
and Hal Lindsay’s terrible prophesies, seeing demons everywhere,
Tannie Yvonne DuPlessis recommended I stop reading, but I was
unstoppable, I took her to see the Walt Disney movie Fantasia
with me, shocked by the dancing demon scenes

My disintegrating health could not combat the whole-wheat diet
in the end, I ended up in hospital, my mind completely gone, but
I knew for sure, Juicy Lucy is a dangerous affair and Tastee Wheat
leads an unwary kid straight down the road to hell; but
Walt Disney movies like Peter Pan with Tinker Bell and
Paul Gallico’s Mouche and Capitaine Coq would infuse
the mind with life again…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...