Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Long-Lost Love

*
Now THIS is how a love story should read –
the young man dies in an avalanche and
when Death meets him, He says ‘Wherever
you go, you go together’ and leads him
to his eighteen-year old bride

She tells him that when he vanished, she
lived till she was seventy, then Death came
and made her young again and brought her
here, to her long-lost love, he smiles and
remarks wonderingly

‘But I had my accident just now, how could
all that time have passed?’ She smiles back
at him with the eyes of an eighteen-year old
lass who had just danced the tango with
Death himself

THIS is what romance is all about, thank you
Terry Pratchett, I shall always remember this
when coming across another story of a
long-lost love…

“Reaper Man” Terry Pratchett, Gollancz, 1991
p. 243 (Tango) p. 246 ‘Wherever you go,
you go together’
*

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...