Saturday, December 26, 2009

SINGING, INTERNET & FANTASIES 26/12/09

*
SINGING DROWNED OUT

It is useless to sing in church, these
modern clowns look down on ancient
constructions, now religious buildings
are built with a flat roof

There is no acoustics, no rich, sonorous
sound, no reverberating echo, no natural
amplification, it feels like singing straight
into cotton balls

The sound of my voice is absorbed and
I can’t even hear myself, only the show-
offs on stage with microphones enjoy
themselves

A tenor weaving around the melody so
he can stand out, the electric organ a
nightmare of booming sound, making
sure

Our uncouth singing is drowned out...


LOST INTERNET CONNECTION

Lost my Internet connection, have to wait
till the kids vacate their computer before
I can Memory Stick my contributions and
post to Blogspot

My first inclination was to think it was the
devil himself who did this to me, then re-
membering how much I like him, I deci-
ded this must be a good thing

Keeping me from pestering all god-fearing
fellows with my wild ideas and unfounded
surmises; hubby complained I did not need
him and the kids when

I read too much, played too much on the
Internet, I scaled down and only concentrate
on cleaning house and accompanying them
everywhere, listening to their conversation

It is unnerving, I cannot believe how small
the world feels - surely they should know
by now how much I love them, even if I
need to feel the whole universe

Not only the small spot we live in!


FANTASIES SPICE UP LIFE

Today is free-for-all day, everyone must
provide for themselves, no official meals
organised, with my insides all jittery with
blood sugar low, my head heavy and
ears stuffed

the day is looming like a grinning demon
ready to swallow me and my symptoms
until we spin in an endless maelstrom of
bewildering sensations and discomfort,
unable to do anything sensible

Waiting for the dizzy lightheaded feeling
to stop so I can think straight again, or at
least, just think; I always think in circles,
that’s what I do, thinking straight is for
those who love playing with numbers

And configuring statistics, I carefully eschew
that route, therein lies death and destruction
of all I hold dear, especially of the fantasies
that spice up life!

It seems like Terry Pratchett had the same idea:

“The living never found out half of what was really
happening because they were too busy being the
living. The living ignored the strange and wonderful
because life was too full of the boring and mundane.”

Quoted from p. 55 “Reaper Man” Terry Pratchett,
Gollancz 1991
*

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...