Friday, September 9, 2011

IMMENSELY DEAR (Revised)


A personal favourite is Symbolism, I prefer
symbolic special objects to the real, love the
purity of crystals with their ethereal power;
yet to convince me thoroughly snowflakes
need only ersatz imitation crystals

Charmed by symbolism of religious books
but dry catechisms are abhorrent – love the
significance of diamonds but do not want the
real thing – only symbols to magnify light,
the diamond itself is much too cold

Preferring as a child to play with boxes
and twigs clad in tinsel representing houses
and magic wands – anything suggesting
what it might be, then becoming whatever
I dream – drawn inexorably,

I love glitter – it says sunlight is creating
pearls and crystals of delicate things like
cobwebs and streams, I love the diamonds
seen on sprigs of grass early in spring but
do not try to entice me with real pearls

Diamonds or precious crystals are real and
cannot morph into other objects, although
I love seeing them behind glass in expensive
shops; but for my satisfaction I want only
symbols of these beloved objects,

I adore small fairies made from artificial
materials, not golden statues of saints and
angels – want to imagine what a thing might
represent – such symbolism is immensely
dear to me…


[Original]

Symbolism is one of my favourite subjects,
preferring symbols of special objects to the
real thing, I love the beauty and purity of
crystals with their ethereal power

Yet only want imitation crystals to symbolise
the beauty of snowflakes - charmed by the
symbolism of religious books - but dry
catechisms are abhorrent to me

I love the significance and meaning of diamonds
but do not want the real thing, I want a symbol
to represent their ability to magnify light, the
diamond itself is much too cold

Like a child preferring to play with boxes and twigs
covered in tinsel to represent houses and magic
wands - anything which only suggests what it
might be, becoming whatever I dream

Draws me inexorably, I love glitter because it suggests
sunlight creating pearls and crystals on delicate things
like cobwebs and streams, I love the diamonds seen
on sprigs of grass early in spring

But do not try to entice me with real pearls, diamonds
and precious crystals, they are real and cannot morph
into other objects, I love looking at them behind glass
in expensive shops, but only want

symbols of these beloved objects, I adore small fairies
made from artificial materials, not golden statues of
saints and angels - want to imagine what a thing
might represent - such symbolism

Is immensely dear to me…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...