Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dear Gerhard – this is for you:


There you are, six years old, ready to
start school, posing under the willow
tree that stood in front of our room
until struck by lightning

The old house in the background, a ladder
indicating my dad never stopped fixing it
the porch where I used to read at night
when people were too noisy inside

You have the pixie look that marks the
very small boy, a look of innocence and
joy, I wish we lived in a universe
where we could retain it

Though you look different now, your joy
is still the same, your infectious laughter
exploding like mine, must be a family
trait, and I like it

We share a fascination with happiness and
optimism, we share a love for your grand-
ma, my garrulous aunt whose
fingers and tongue

Never stopped for a moment - you clung
to your dreams when family seemed to
look down upon you, just like I clung
to mine – we share more than genes

We share a determination to remain
enthusiastic about life - in the face
of all contrary evidence!



1 comment:

Gerhard Knight said...

Wow Marilese,

Ek onthou nie eers hierdie een nie - dis Pragtig, baie waar, baie dankie!

Gerhard

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...