Monday, March 7, 2011

Such Mastery

To calm my spirit I read the illustrated
‘Scarem’s House’ – about a dreary and
depressed ghost family who are happy that
way – until the cheerful Merry family moves in,
the ghosts are outraged and start haunting
them but the modern Merry family invites
friends to share the bizarre enjoyment

In the end the ghosts go on holiday with the
Merry family, my fears laid to rest by this de-
lightful tale; next ‘The Attack of the Killer Fish
Fingers, the Freaky Facts Club’ – just the title
makes me feel joyous; then ‘Dinotopia, The
World Beneath’ about archaeology and
lost civilizations

Beautifully illustrated by James Gurney, a
painter - I rest mind and spirit in the wonder
of these creations, withdrawing from a world
in which factual sequences are required –
processing techniques so alien to me I cannot
even begin to acquire such mastery…


‘Scarem’s House’ Malcolm Yorke, Scholastic
Children’s Books, 1994

‘The Attack of the Killer Fish Fingers - The Freaky
Facts Club’ Paul Zindel, Red Fox Books, 1993

‘Dinotopia, The World Beneath’ James Gurney, Dorling
Kindersley, 1995

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...