Saturday, March 12, 2011

King of Storms (Revised)


No-one shall ever be able to make you feel
the admiration I felt as a child when older
brother met nieces - guitars playing in unison,
singing songs I cannot recall - only the joy of
seeing gods on earth charming each other

Nobody can ever measure the depth, height
and breadth of young child’s admiration for
their talented elders – later they trimmed my
brother’s hair with a razor, the very same
Susan and Ria known as ‘Sannetjie en Ria’

Susan with black, enticing hair, the blonde
Ria - they sang like angels – together with
Martie, their elder sister married to my uncle –
a dreamer who bought a train set, painstakingly
cleaning it when I first took an interest in him

Memories can be the best part of life - shivers
and frissons, books that have been read, forming
together a wonderful memoir of dreams, a way
to escape everything that did not chime with
visions of a new world

A new universe where mother was Queen of
song and music, brother was King; dad was
King of Storms, Poseidon himself, causing
waves of chaos to undulate through the lives
of everyone who loved him

Even my Scorpion uncle and his progeny,
Gerhard especially; played a role in this –
my personal myth, my very own Odyssey –
a quest for the golden fleece - or even –
our Lord’s golden chalice…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...