Thursday, February 12, 2009

Live In A Different World

Now that my new colleague is facing
the same obstacles I have done all
these years, being in government
service, subject to the petty require-
ments of acerbic supervisors, without
reference to objective rationalism or
creative innovation; I can advise her to
play the game, she is here to earn her
salary, not improve anything, not achieve
excellence; she is not allowed to, even
if a doctor does our work and we sign
our names, the work is thrown back again,
the rules are arbitrary, the game idiosyncratic

Take nothing personally, accept no responsibility,
then you can’t be hurt, never shirk from doing
donkey work, repeat like a parrot and accept
changing tastes and ideas, fluctuating moods
and yo-yo instructions – it’s all part of a game
that won’t bring you fame; but enables you to
survive and pay your bills, eat and sleep well
and follow your own dream – just live your life
in a different dimension, just send your need
for achievement into another sphere; never
feel bad when they change everything simply
to show that they can - you will never be able
to satisfy them

You’ll be fine, trust me, I’ve spent a million
years in the system while I live in a
different world myself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In a similar vein I did better at school when I realized the goal was to get good scores on tests, not to learn. Sigh.

Of course, too, if there are children that changes everything. Ideals go the wayside pretty quick.

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...