Friday, February 20, 2009

Cherish Lovely Memories

Went up to the statue of General Hertzog,*
the signs of the wax candles we burnt there
long gone, we melted chocolate for dipping
marshmellows while you were in the army

Afterwards we climbed onto the statue - a
lack of respect, already dark , your brother
still small, your sister young, we had a ball,
veering off into the veld on our bicycles

They showed me all your favourite hang-outs,
we marched everywhere like the three mus-
keteers; I nearly married you just to get hold
of them, and your dad and your mom

Though realizing it would be only us two when I
grew nervous and scared alone with you without
them, nearly froze to death at the southernmost
point where two oceans meet, the warm Indian

And the cold Atlantic, hallucinating along the rugged
mountainside, something warning me we were not
meant to be, I was too immature, needing guidance;
you were too young, a baby yourself

But I’ll always remember the good times we’ve had,
your image lives on in one of my fictional hero’s, I
still hum our song*, your mischievous brother and
sister hold their place in my mind, it was great

To spend time with all of you, I’ll always cherish
the lovely memories…

* At the Union Buildings
* Taraboemdery, My Liewe Stokperdjie

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...