Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Spirit Of Winter Is In Love With Her

I’ve got a new book to read, it is a special
treasure, the delight of expectation is so
exquisite, the description so enticing – a
Terry Pratchett, a girl called Tiffany
Aching, the name is perfect

The spirit of winter is in love with her, giving
her roses, icebergs, showers of snowflakes,
it sounds like my own story of an Ice Princess
who is only moved by beauty, nostalgic music
and spiritual bliss

I’m looking forward to this treat, too scared
to begin until I’m sure I won’t be interrupted,
I can kill when engrossed in beauty, to be
called back to reality, staring longingly at
my Discworld novel

First have to collect kids; then see whether
Pratchett’s heroine is as debonair as Susan,
Death’s granddaughter, I love the resonance
of beauty and delight Pratchett creates when
he designs his characters

I love his sardonic one-liners and the
implication that more is going on
than meets the eye...

Terry Pratchett “Wintersmith” Corgi books, 2007

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...