Thursday, February 16, 2012

Nothingness (Revised)


Thought I’d allowed the world to grow infinitely
and eternally varied never to lose it again, but
evil goblin emerged and sent his shards of
broken mirror into my eyes and heart

The multiverse sucked into my brain’s black
hole, nothing left, not a ray of light, note or
musical beat, even alternative universes,
the trousers of time splitting off infinitely

Only the black hole remains; Michael Ende’s
Never-Ending Story replaces nothingness with
imagination - mine was destroyed by serving
ethical principle of veracity, no feelings left

Worse than that positivist materialist I was at
University or Dr Damasio’s patient, frontal lobe
brain damaged Phineas Gage; I can’t set
priorities in a world uniformly grey

Only follow those of other’s, march blindly, eyes
no longer turned inside, dark grows overpowering
sight simply stops, all vague, blind without the
former inner light, staring into nothingness…


[ORIGINAL:]

I thought I had allowed the world to grow so big
and infinite, so varied and eternal, I could never
lose it again, yet when the evil goblin came along
and send the shards of his broken mirror into my
eyes and heart, the whole multiverse tumbled with
me into the black hole in my brain and never a ray
of light, a note of music, a beat or anything escaped
again, the multiverse with its myriad alternatives and
parallel lines forming the trousers of time splitting off
infinitely, is gone; only the black hole is left

In the Never-ending story nothingness was replaced by
imagination; since my imagination is destroyed to serve
the ethical principle of textual veracity, no feeling is left
and I am worse off than the little positivist materialist I
was at university; even worse than Phineas Gage, Dr
Damasio's frontal brain lobe damaged patient, I can-
not set priorities in a world that looks uniformly grey;
only follow the priorities other people set and march
blindly, unseeingly, eyes no longer turned inside as
the dark grows overpowering, sight simply stopped

All is vague and grey, blind without inner light, staring
at the nothingness

16 February 2012

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...