Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Need For Her Mother’s Love

Finished reading ‘On Being Sarah’ by Elizabeth
Helfman, how strange that once again the name
of the author – ‘Help-man’ and the Australian
Charles Bliss who developed symbols for children
who could not speak, describe their vocations
perfectly – Sarah who has cerebral palsy and
learnt that some people show their love in gifts
like her father, while others show their love con-
stantly like her mother who took care of her, dumb
and confined to a wheel-chair – her need for her
mother’s love shown in comfort and warmth - like
a bodily hunger in her – - I cried on reading the
story; the beautiful world of a mother’s dedicated
love, comforted and happy myself on discovering
this store of delight – Elizabeth Helfman’s book
became a link between Charles Bliss and people
needing his symbols – and a link between me and
the magical world of devoted love I adore so much!

‘On Being Sarah’ by Elizabeth Helfman
Albert Whitman & Company 1993

23 July 2009

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...