Friday, April 20, 2012

Just Mischievous

Drove home happily until I hit the wipers on the left
seeking the elusive indicators and then the little car
mocked me with a wiper determinedly cleaning a dry
windscreen on this sunny day, other motorists staring
uncomprehendingly, I could not switch on the radio
or change the air-con to cool my burning face –

Got home safely to discover my eyes out of focus
the undercover agent had probably spiked the pie
she forced on me in confirmation of the adventurous
Agatha Christie I finished tonight, called The Secret
Adversary, Tommy and Tuppence forming Young
Adventurer’s Club, an artificial unbelievable story

Yet the imaginative yarn carried me away, the under-
stated marriage proposal on the last page the perfect
introduction to Mrs Blenkensop, their later adventures
I recall from other marvellous books, never knew where
Tommy and Tuppence came from, now I do, they seem
utterly charming - with the wipers sorted out

My little car will be so charming also – actually, it is
already delightful, just mischievous I suppose…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...