Thursday, May 17, 2012

Shrinking (Revised)

Why does a conversational ploy that charms
one colleague fall flat on its face for others?

When I enact a little tragi-comedy for Hanlie 
she embroiders the tales I tell, brings out the

hidden glitter in every situation and adds joy
by weaving her wan spell –

but when I share the same anecdote with
other colleagues my story loses its appeal,

I feel guilt and fatigue, and the story shrivels
up and dies; a more robust, feisty colleague

simply kills the story by pulling down corners
of her mouth –

thus, with Hanlie on leave, I already know
why life at work keeps shrinking


[ORIGINAL:]

Why is it that a conversation ploy that works like
a charm with one colleague, falls flat on its face
when tried on others? When I enact a little tragi-
comedy for Hanlie, she embroiders the tales I tell,
brings out the hidden glitter in every situation and
adds joy by weaving her own spell - but when I
share the same anecdote with other colleagues
my stories suddenly lose their appeal, I feel guilt
and fatigue, sorry for taking up their time and the
story simply shrivels up and die; a more robust,
feisty colleague simply kills a story betimes by
pulling down the corners of her mouth at my
approach - with Hanlie on leave, life keeps
shrinking

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...