Sunday, November 14, 2010

Your Reassuring Presence

I could not understand your being tense all
weekend, your going to bed so early, your
brusque manner whenever we asked some-
thing, why you acted so strange suffering
emotional stress without reason

Today you said Nici was aggressive - then we
found out she was scared of the exams, when
she burst into tears you immediately said you
could understand her being upset, you held
your little girl safe against the fear

You had been reacting to her depression long
before you knew what was wrong, your sixth
sense caused your overreactions to every
request, you refused to allow me freedom,
while protecting all your loved ones

Against an unknown threat in the only way you
know how, keeping us in a tight embrace by
enclosing us in a fortress which feels like a
prison, but is meant to keep out all menace,
when you explained to Nici you love her

No matter what, and always will, you took her
fear of failure away and gave her new hope,
the tension snapped and all was well, Tiaan
made fun of me by illustrating how much I
struggle to switch on the TV

I explained to Nici that tomorrow I would fail my
Production Report - she said she would love
to blow up her school, I begged her to blow
up my office also, she laughed, we had a
good time - your reassuring presence

Your contagious optimism and wonderful love
creating a safe world for us…

(Dankie Martin, dankie dat die kinders en ek
een honderd persent op jou kan vertrou!)

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...