Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Rewriting My Life (Revised)





































I disliked a world where angry people
used insulting words to maim and hurt;
trapped in a here and now I stayed alive
replaying tapes of superb stories,
engraving them on my heart,

Rewrote the score of my life, reread my
favourite books, repeated words to
myself at night, pressing fingers into my
ears when conflicts threatened to intrude.
How sad we are slaves of customs,

Attitudes and style, living in aggressive
cultures we cannot disregard unless
Professor Higgins shows us a different
direction – and we’ll need a quick ear
combined with glibly slick tongue

My family gave the means for escape,
surrounded us with books, and my dad,
an affable Alfred P Doolittle kept score
of My Fair Lady in his cupboard,
he loved the story

If only Higgins could aid him escape his
past, though I’m glad he showed me my
star to follow – my mother helped by
staying in her solitary bubble, oblivious
to the fighting crew

in the vessel of her own life….


No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...