Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Hunter King

*
Our long-legged Fox Terrier gone
Nici was three weeks old when
hubby brought him home, a
baby of his own

For sixteen years he reigned su-
preme, we called him lion* as he
was a hunter king, he followed
hubby everywhere

Entered the house, slept on our bed
illegally, no amount of discipline could
curb his lawlessness, terrorized
our Jack Russel

Caught birds and rats, always loyal to
hubby, even after serious thrashings,
he lived joyously, for sixteen years
one of the family

Then his balance was lost, he wet his
blanket, couldn’t see, teeth long gone,
body worn out, vitality lost, the vet
had to put him out

He made me realize how transient life
is, how wasteful I am with time, how
short Nici’s childhood years…

*Lion in the native language: RATAU
*

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...