Monday, January 18, 2010

Obscurantism

*Obscurantism appeals to me very much, the
vague and obscure leaving my imagination
free to come up with its own interpretation,
don’t mind being wrong unless it is some-
thing so beautiful and ethereal, I want to
put it in my heart

I have learnt my lesson, when bewitching words
in the public domain are unrightfully appropriated
by a stranger, the sacred meaning is profaned,
now I honour sacred words out there by not
trying to convey my appreciation as I used
to, respecting

The secret intent of authors in a way I did not
do before, they only want admiration, not ap-
propriation by strangers, guarding their real
meaning, not intending their words to
sprout true feeling in the reader,
otherwise

They would have to accept responsibility for what
they said; I screen what I read, making sure I am
not moved to respond to authors whose only aim
is to show how good they are in manipulating
the emotions, refusing to deal with the con-
sequences

Of the ideas planted in the unwary hearts
of people addicted to beauty
in all its forms…
*

3 comments:

matt at shadow of iris said...

Obscurantism?

Ambiguity ... I love ambiguity in art. Yet in practical matters I don't like it. In that sense, I feel schizophrenic.

Margaret Alice said...

Hi Matt
No, you should not feel schizophrenic, you have a very healthy sense of context and situation. Ambiguity is an inherent quality of good art, whereas we all require straightforward convictions and clear intersubjective agreements in practical matters. The moment we realize that EVERYTHING on earth is determined by context and situation, we shall stop trying to generalise principles and apply them blindly.

matt at shadow of iris said...

Thank you, Agent Snowflake, there is a lot of wisdom in what you say!

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...