Saturday, September 10, 2022

Our Pain Expressed In Her Song

Reading The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce and a pleasure it is not,

I love the descriptions of music and it is clear I must listen to Aretha

Franklin and the opera Tosca by Puccini and the aria Dido’s Lament

by Henry Purcell to hear what it sounds like when a heart breaks, but

 

I don’t really want to because I don’t like listening to pain even when

expressed beautifully, though pain’s required to make joy shine: Now

that I’m listening to Queen Dido singing her Lament I can hear what

the author meant - the saddest aria we shall ever hear, but I wish to

 

Tell her that though her soul mate is gone, there can be another love,

nothing is ever final - because our marvelous universe has the ability

to provide in our needs when we open our hearts - yet the Queen is

required to sing her sadness so we can all have our pain expressed

 

In her song, as long as we carry on afterwards and look out for the

new love to come, there are more perfect soul mates out there…

 

[Rachel Joyce “The Music Shop” 2017 Doubleday UK]

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...