Thursday, June 3, 2010

‘Arcane Spell Failure’

*
A brilliant example of the Ubiquitous Acronym
Syndrome*: ‘ASF’ has only 91 possible meanings
I cannot determine which fit my document on
discovering mind-blowing alternatives

‘Apache Software Foundation’ evokes scenes of
Indian Spirit Guides appearing to Victorian mediums
‘Administaff’ reminds of Professor Dumbledore’s*
wizard staff, ‘Arcane Spell Failure’ indicates

Magic spells wearing off, ‘Avenged Sevenfold’ recalls
the French Foreign League, ‘Alabama Shakespeare
Festival’ makes us see Old Man River dressed up
for a rendition of A Midsummer Night’s Dream

‘Association des Sclérodermiques de France’
suggests Boris Karloff appearing as Frankenstein -
my favourite is ‘American Schizophrenia Foundation’
I would love to clock in - last but not least

‘Assignable Square Feet’ creates scenes of round feet
being replaced by square ones to dance the fandango
with more conviction than stomping about on round
yellow ones like Donald Duck

But Agatha Christie-like I suppose the mundane meaning
of the acronym ASF is ‘Africa Standby Force’ within the
context of my document, no Hogwarts* spells and staff
seem to be applicable…


*Ubiquitous Acronym Syndrome: UAS

*Professor Dumbledore & Hogwarts: From
Harry Potter Series by JK Rowlings
*

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...