Monday, June 28, 2010

Legion of Drum Majorettes

*
Library books long overdue glaring at me
donned my pirate jeans to march down the
street without messing up my new leggings
with shimmering beads of which Nici is quite
heartily ashamed, why, she laments, why
wear shiny beads in the middle of day?

I usually wear them with my Bafana T-shirt
because everything looks terrible with such
a glaring yellow; staying in the festive soccer
mood, listening to Leon Schuster’s rugby tune
“Here they come, the Springboks, while the
English Roses play like men on narcotics”

and Steve Hofmeyr “Bring your whole life in a
suitcase, I am saving for a donkey cart to transport
the *predikant” and oom Chris Blignaut “Come and
greet your nation through the wireless bully-beef
broadcasting station” - lustily singing along while
determinedly marching to the rhythm

Thanking my lucky stars nobody openly laughs at
the spectacle I present, feeling like the leader of a
legion of drum majorettes stepping high to the
songs playing in my ears…


Leon Schuster “Here they come, the Springboks”
“Hier kom die Bokke - Die manne van die Rose speel soos
manne met narkose”

Steve Hofmeyr “Pampoen” "Bring jou hele lewe in ‘n tas"
*predikant = pastor

Oom Chris Blignaut “Come, greet the nation by
broadcasting through the wireless bully-beef tin”
“Kom groet nou jou nasie oor die uitsaaistasie »
*

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...