Saturday, October 22, 2022

English Interpretation of Demain - Victor Hugo

Tomorrow at dawn just as the sun is rising over the horizon,

I shall leave as I know you are waiting for me, I shall make

my way through the forest and over the mountain as I can’t

stay away from you any longer; I shall be walking with my

 

Eyes fixed on my thoughts, without taking any notice of the

world around me, ears closed to all sound, a lonely stranger

with bent back and folded hands, with a feeling of sadness,

and I know the day will seem to be as dark as night to me

 

I shan’t turn my eyes to watch the golden sunset or to look

at at the sails of ships on their way to Harfleur visible on the

far horizon; when I get to your grave I’ll hand you a bouquet

made up of green holly and festooned with heather blooms

 

“Demain Dès L’aube”  - Victor Hugo

 

Demain, dès l’aube, à l’heure où blanchit la campagne, Je

partirai. Vois-tu, je sais que tu m’attends. J’irai par la forêt,

j’irai par la montagne. Je ne puis demeurer loin de toi

plus longtemps.

 

Je marcherai les yeux fixés sur mes pensées, sans rien

voir au dehors, sans entendre aucun bruit, seul, inconnu,

le dos courbé, les mains croisées, triste, et le jour pour

moi sera comme la nuit.

 

Je ne regarderai ni l’or du soir qui tombe, ni les voiles au

loin descendant vers Harfleur, et quand j’arriverai, je

mettrai sur ta tombe un bouquet de houx vert et de

bruyère en fleur.

….………………………………………………………

My gunsteling Franse gedig - so hartseer en so mooi.

Daar is ‘n letterlike vertaling op die Internet, maar ek

verkies om dit te interpreteer in ‘n styl wat die gevoel

oordra.  Die digter sit af na sy dogter se graf & beskryf

sy hartseer so treffend soos Totius in sy gedig “O die

pyngedagte, my kind is dood 

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...