Sunday, July 24, 2022

Passionate Requests & Personal, Subjective Reality

Imagine what you enjoyed most in life; I am thinking of

my interpreting sessions where I relayed the requests

of the Francophone visitors to South Africa to our own

Government - carrying a heavy bag with dictionaries -

 

Explaining for our visitors what their problems & needs

were and it was the best experience of my life, then we

went to the canine section and I had to explain the dog

training to our interested buyers - afterwards I realised

 

They never wanted to pay, only to receive gifts to meet

their needs since South Africa and Mandela were seen

as the Father Christmas of Africa: but oh, what great fun

to use my French knowledge to help them communicate

 

Their needs to our Government, afterwards I relayed their

passionate requests in the same tearful way in which they 

were posed by our visitors; then I learned that interpreters

were supposed to be indifferent - totally cold, relaying all

 

Words in an emotionless, ice-cold, mechanical way - but

I am glad that I interpreted before I knew the scientific

theory of unfeeling - robotic - meaningless relay!

...................................................................................

Personal, Subjective Reality 

A wonderful working weekend with dusting and cleaning, the

blinds also - doing some ironing while listening to my favourite

guru explaining everything is working out - and it is - the only

problem is me - even  after reading my favourite author I feel

 

Dissatisfied - it’s clear accomplishment has no lasting value -

thus it’s a problem how to enjoy tonight while dreaming of the

good times: could I ever explain the joy I felt while working, in

such a way that others enjoy the passionate delight I felt in

 

My own heart, & reading my favourite author, Terry Pratchett  

where he explains the philosopher 'Heidehollen' spoke of the

‘quantum fluctuations in the fabric of space-time’ - now I have

confirmation that my memories of my interpretations are still

 

Alive and will be forever within these quantum fluctuations -

it is joyous to realise: this is my personal, subjective reality!


[Terry Pratchett, “The Truth” - p 162 - Published 2000 by 

Doubleday, Transworld Publishers]

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...