Friday, June 3, 2022

And Understated End

Monstrous Regiment ended in an anti-climax,

while Polly, Igorina, Vamperina and Maladicta

were growing famous within less than a week

and suddenly they were allowed any request

as their fame spread, yet they seemed caught

in a kind of daze, did not cash in on a growing

 

Name as the saviours of Borogravia, everyone

went home or further afield without a glow of

delight, this isn’t right, couldn’t Terry Pratchett

allow them a celebration in the joy of victory,

one measly feast would have sufficed for me,

suddenly the story stops just when the reader

 

Is shocked by the revelation - half of the army

are women and they insist that the Monstrous

Regiment hide their identity also and claim to

be men, Polly & Co. refused - I’m overjoyed -

but I wanted Angua and Captain Vimes to say

more on the subject, why does Pratchett leave

 

The reader half-satisfied, why not give us a full

analysis and several speeches at the end, why

can’t Polly tell us about her new adventures as

a captain in the Borogravian army; the tension

kept mounting - the excitement was growing -

then Terry let me down with a downplayed and

 

Understated end: I want more catharsis - and

a lot more fun for my heroine!

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...