Friday, June 3, 2022

The Drama Of Packing Up

I can safely claim to be a nervous wreck, we

moved into number seventeen, rejoicing in the

riverfront scene, three glorious nights, then we

had to move out for two nights, had to pack up

everything and I had brought more stuff than

before, project book and magazines and extra

 

Clothes and cushions for the cold, hard iron

chairs outside and after two nights at another

site, we moved back into number seventeen,

now my nerves are shot, I tried not to unpack

again at our second stop, to leave everything

in my suitcase, dug around in it trying to find

 

Something to wear, had to hang up several

pieces of clothing, then had to pack up this

morning, now I’m totally confused: what to

take out, what to leave in, tomorrow morning

we are leaving so best would be to unpack

nothing, but the night is cold, winter pajamas

 

And socks are required, tomorrow thick pants

and leg warmers and fleeces in the talking car,

an electronic wonder almost driving itself, yet

clueless as far as air-con goes - though you

turned it to 19 degrees, my feet froze and I

shivered in my seat so I need fleeces and

 

Thick socks for my frozen toes, the car informs

you with screeches and squeaks when you cross

the line in the middle of the road and slacks off

when nearing another vehicle, but freezes the

passenger in the front seat, an icy wind that

threatens my life and you just laugh, it gives 

 

You kicks to be cold while you drive - well, I’m

not a robot like you; back to the subject at hand:

had to unpack tea, coffee, sugar and milk, and

tomorrow must pack butter, bread and cheese

from the fridge and most importantly, cool drinks

for the road - with cold fear gripping my heart

 

I check: two torches, camera, binoculars, cool

box, laptop, tablet - and wonder how we shall

survive another round of packing up again, you

nearly forgot your camera in the other tent; what

about my extra pillow and shoes - and I give up,

tomorrow the drama of packing up starts again

 

I cannot start that fight in the darkness of night…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...