Monday, April 7, 2008

The Fragile Song

Pieter Pieterse – a well-known author married
an English-woman*; together they traveled the
bush and Pieterse wrote it all down
Once they were setting up camp and his English
woman asked Pieterse to sing her ‘their’ song –
which he did - Now if you ever saw
Pieterse on TV and heard his raucous voice, you
would have been wondering too what kind of song
would such a man choose?
Then he sang an Afrikaans song* based on the German –
"Wie die Blümlein draussen zittern" – The flowers are
trembling outside -
In total contrast with his wild, unkempt appearance:
"Bly jy by my, beminde teer… Stay with me, Beloved
tenderly…" - somehow
The great gulf between big man and fragile song
increased the sweetness -
immeasurably!
* Die Ingilsman
* As die winter nader kruip - FAK
"Hoor die blomme en die blare bewend van die winter praat,
doodgedoemde martelare, siek en van die son verlaat, o bly
by my, beminde teer, dan bloei in my die somerblomme weer..."

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...