Friday, April 11, 2008

WORLD CUP FINAL ECSTACY


I feel like a bundle of energy, running around
like ball lightning, my cherished newspaper
under the arm; setting afire each open heart
I find; my African friends laugh and sing with me

We chant the praises of Mr Mbeki; we feel invincible
in being so happy – only calm and boring reactions
come from world-weary Europeans; but I brush them
aside, I cannot abide their inability

to feel adrenaline and dance and jump for joy;
I’m a world champion, my rugby team’s victory
made me so; I can’t slow down to look at boring
humanity, I am living life in highest gear

The greater our diversity, the merrier we are; the
bigger our problems, the greater the challenges;
the more exciting life; there is no more exciting place
for me to be than here amongst the

Many-coloured, variously-spiced divergent cultures of
South Africa – I cannot see problems of any kind, my
eyes are blinded by stars everywhere; it is so nice to
know we can go this far; even better to suspect

We can go so much further still – in spite of constraints,
colour quotas and representative numbers, in spite of
threats of their passports being taken away; our valiant
young men went off to war against

The world’s best war machines – and they won so valiantly,
they did it for me personally, for everyone with the brawn
and the guts to bathe in their glory and ride the wave of victory
with them, losing brings the perspective that winning
a world cup doesn’t mean much

But winning brings the insight that winning a world
cup is the most important event on earth! I am bubbling
around, I’m going to drink in the fun till I’m drowned…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...