Monday, April 7, 2008

Reading Erlkönig by Goethe

The poem rings out like a song – the father’s deep voice calming his son the son’s anxious cries of fear and the Fairy King’s sing-song invitation to the son to come join the dance and breathless the pace increases until the persuasive invitation becomes a direct threat: Und bist du nicht willig if you are not willing – so brauch ich Gewalt I will force you to come then the son’s anguished cry: -jetzt faßt er mich an! – he is attacking me! Erlkönig hat mir ein Leids getan! - The Fairy King hurt me! and the Father is shuddering while speeding on but in his arms – the child is dead…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...