Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Social Pest All by Myself

Huh, sitting in the open plan office
is just like being a nun, listening to
the small noises of women, all the
FLEAS* are female, oh happy day -
sighing and clearing their throats
eating softly, rustling papers
in an elegant way

While I, local barbarian, chew loudly,
close drawers with a crashing explo-
sion, burst into wild laughter, push
my chair back with a crash, jump up
and down, climb onto desks to fix the
blinds, shout questions at my nearest
neighbours, ignore everyone

With headphones on my ears, getting
angry at their noise while inflicting my
own loud presence on them; oh, for
some privacy to be a social pest
all by myself…

**************************************

*FLEAS = Foreign Languages, English and
Afrikaans Section in the National Language
Service (NLS) of the Department of Arts
and Culture (DAC), South Africa

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...