Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fiendish Delight In Colloquial Speech

Forgot about my sore mouth, attacked a
banana with gusto, nearly injured my-
self, immediately throttled back my
energetic attack

taking small bites, chewing softly, not
moving my jaws very much, my poor
tongue, even after two of the deadly
super-strong painkiller pills

my tongue is still too sensitive to with-
stand movement in the mouth area, al-
though it has not stopped me from
exchanging jokes with Hanlie

complaining facetiously about the
detrimental effect the authors of
Afrikaans youth series like Trompie
and Saartjie had on me

causing me to take fiendish delight in
using informal, colloquial speech where
formal language is required, the absurd
contrast between official context

and uncouth diction a never-ending source
of amusement to me, though it has already
severely retarded my development as a serious
translator of important documents…

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...