Monday, February 1, 2010

Burkina Faso - Burkinan

*
A priceless bit of information ensuring
me an eternity of grace for doing my
duty as an assembly line translator
looking up the generic appellation
for a person from Burkina Faso

He or she is called a Burkinan which
rhymes with Buchanan, Louisianan
Conan, my favourite barbarian
Tongan - Oh, the joys of non-
sensical information

Lewis Carrol would be overjoyed by
rules ensuring that making limericks
becomes a mechanical function
carried out by dictionaries

Alice in the Red Queen’s palace
would be aghast, I suppose, but
the Mad Hatter and March Hare
would rejoice also…

And I had the temerity to call
him Burkinabe, oi vey…

Oxford Dictionary of Rhymes. 2007.
Oxford University Press. Encyclopedia.com.
1 Feb. 2010 http://www.encyclopedia.com/
*

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...