Friday, February 12, 2010

Sleek, Blasé, Stuck-Up

*

Brought my translations home, planning to
make up for lost time at the office, editing
them here - feeling much too happy tonight
to make a start, reading jokes, progressing
with Pinch-Me, love Sara Moone as queen
of cool - I have never mastered the art

I dream of looking haughty and superior when
embarrassed, thus far only managed flushed
and uncomfortable, turning into Quasimodo,
hunchback of Notre Dame, although I dreamt
of being Esmerelda, my visual image changes
every time I look in the mirror

The naughty James Bond girl looks happy but
disappears in public, my Orphan Annie act des-
troys all chance of looking chic and worldly-wise
I should stop looking at pictures of fairies to get
the sleek, blasé, stuck-up look just right, must
look at pictures of rich, fashionable people

But my desire for dreams and magic wins and I
return to the wide-eyed wonder of Disney’s fairies
while laughing about Terry Pratchett depicting
these lovely creatures as evil - the element of
pure joy and fun is much more important than
impressing others with cool – besides

The moment I open my mouth, my image is
shattered by my loud laugh…
*

No comments:

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...