Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dusted My Face

*
[REVISED]

There’s a tuck shop on the ground
floor of Kingsley Building - the lady
seemed to have suffered delayed bomb
shock, her eyes were dead as if the end
of the World had already happened
before I first went in there

Today her demeanor is changed, it struck
me so forcibly this week, I’ll have to ask
her what happened, I can’t put my finger
on why or when though now it is quite
some time since I lost my fear of
going there

She reacts with a new smile on her
face, it is simply marvelous, I wish
I could make this into a good poem
because the delight is so great, I suppose
it will have to remain a diary note as
no intrigue of grand expression easily
presents itself

And it was so kind of her to clean
my face!

*
[ORIGINAL]

Life is full of mystery, a tuck shop
a lady with a despondent face, the
end of the world, I decided to stay
out of her way, not to buy anything
in such a sad atmosphere

One day without thinking I bought
popcorn from her and she smiled,
now when I see her, she enquires
about my health, if I carry a book
she wants to know what I read

Passing with the crumbs of an illegal
pie on my person she dug in her bag
for a tissue and dusted my face, I left
laughing, delighted by her attention
her tuck shop changed into a haven

I told her I am looking forward to going
to heaven and she declared happily
there still is some living to do, she
is changed so much, I cannot
believe my own memories!
*

2 comments:

Matt D said...

I read the revised first and liked it, then I read the original and liked it even more!

Margaret Alice said...

Thanks Matt, I am glad you like both and that they are both there to clarify the other, I just did not have the heart to throw any one of them away!

Dying Eventually

Listening to my favourite Internet guru, quite clearly this works for many people as they repeat the jargon flawlessly and I wish I could ge...